Should updates prioritize new content or bug fixes? How often should updates be? [Poll]

Aerotactics

Should updates prioritize new content or bug fixes? How often should updates be?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think we should focus on Bug fixes and have regular weekly or bi-weekly updates. Lately we've been getting daily updates (which is to fix crashing) but once this passes, updates should be focused on bug fixing. There is a lot of content here, and a lot of bugs (I'm looking at the taxi job). It would be nice to have the server not crash or get updated as often as it has been.

So, developing takes awhile (good development, that is) and I'm unsure if there's a team working on the game mode or if it's just one person. If it's the latter, we cannot expect consistent weekly/bi-weekly updates. This isn't a company that's got an organized team able to be working on the game day in and out, pumping out updates as I'm sure this isn't his job and how he relies solely for his income. 

With that being said, I do believe that bugs should be number one priority. I also believe we should be focusing on ways to make this server enjoyable to play on even when there's only for example; 15 players online. When the game mode becomes centralized around players, it's kind of pointless to play when there's a small amount of players online. Of course, RP is mainly a player dependent game type - but there can still be ways to make the game enjoyable to play when the server is past peak. This is something every server ever lacks. 

Considering our roles as developers is a voluntary thing, I think it's a bit disingenuous to expect daily bug fixes - especially seeing as there's only select people who can push to live - there's also the testing (+ integration) which is arguably the hardest part.

For a long time the development team didn't consist of anyone else but me and nervous. Besides the two of us, we had a few junior developers who'd often not stay for long. Lately we've had more developers join us fully such as Westen and Pascal. This really helps take off some of the pressure from me and nervous, which means we've also had the opportunity to investigate the recent crashes and lags that have been going on. This takes hours to be honest, but we do try to do a bit of both. Develop new features, fix old features, optimize the gamemode, take care of crashes and so on in our spare time. None of us are living of this by the way, for me it's a hobby.

Some stuff are also left unfixed because they're up for debate on whatever or not they should even be kept. We do however have everything noted down on a task schedule so eventually they'll get fixed. It's just very time consuming.

EDIT: Oh and two new junior developers have also just joined us and are already hard at work! (Corpsekiller95 & Livemyrd) So that's really nice. The larger the team the more you can expect to see from us. 

In a perfect world we'd have both all the time. Right?

However, you have to be understanding to the fact that the entire staff team does this voluntarily. 

Once they issue a feature/fix it needs to be scripted, tested, applied and then post-application monitoring. At any point this could cause an issue or something could pop up that they weren't expecting. Then they have to jump back into this system and try and fix it without causing too much disruption to the server. (God knows how bitter/salty people get at a single crash - this can be seen on Discord)

I think we just need to be happy with whatever they plan on doing. It's not like they've abandoned all updates; this server seems to have a really active development team from what we can see as players. This doesn't even take into account all of the stuff they're working on behind the scenes that we don't know about day in - day out. All you have to do is look at the announcements and change-logs and just accept that as far as I know, there is no other team out there pushing stuff out as fast as these guys.

On top of that, most of these people will have jobs/families, just as @Nervous does. Yet they still manage to push this stuff out on the regular. (We're talking daily for Nervous) Fixing and working on any and all lag/crash issues in such a timely manner recently.

I don't think a poll on what we should be demanding from an entirely volunteer team will help them much. Especially when they're doing so much as is!

You need to keep the game fresh and new and the only way to accomplish this is by adding new content when possible. People will inevitably get bored if they play the game with exactly the same features for a long time in a row. However, major bugs should always be prioritized. So once these bugs are fixed (and I believe there should not be many?), I'd say new content and bug fixes (minor and intermediate) require the same attention.

6 hours ago, Shaderz said:

You need to keep the game fresh and new and the only way to accomplish this is by adding new content when possible. People will inevitably get bored if they play the game with exactly the same features for a long time in a row. However, major bugs should always be prioritized. So once these bugs are fixed (and I believe there should not be many?), I'd say new content and bug fixes (minor and intermediate) require the same attention.

Major game breaking bugs are addressed directly which is nice to see actually.