Placeholder Prison & Longer Sentences

Smilesville

1 minute ago, Pan Grama said:

I think it's a very short-sighted player who would create a criminal, commit a crime and then quit when faced with a punishment they didn't want to do.

I kinda agree with you about the player being punished for the character, but I've always believed that RP works best when IC and OOC are working together. If a player is aware that jail is boring and long then maybe they would consider the crime they're about to do. Is it worth the jail time? The player and character are having the same thoughts. That has to be a good thing, right?

Like I said in my previous post, I am all for a prison system. However, character crime without fear of character punishment is a bad state. Character crime with player punishment is not ideal either, but better than the former. In my opinion anyway.

I was just trying to say that a prison system needs to serve a purpose. If that purpose is to provide exciting Prison RP for players, then that's fine. Is it possible to do that and also act as a deterrent for criminals? I'm not sure. That daunting task falls to the admin.

It's not short sighted at all. Jail is jail, sure. But if you're, at present, stuck in a small dingy cell for 50+ hours (with server restarts) because you decided to play the game a certain way, then that is frustrating and detrimental to user experience.

56 minutes ago, Pan Grama said:

You should be punished for RPing a criminal. That's the trade-off for being a criminal. Someone who RPs a law abiding citizen doesn't have to worry about that kind of thing. If you're faced with 36 hours of boredom because you were caught committing a crime, then maybe you'll think about that before you do the crime.

On the flip side, if a functioning prison system is developed and, as the brand-new feature, everybody wants to try it, how are players going to get their characters into prison? Commit a serious crime and intentionally get caught?

I'm all for a prison system. I know a lot of people who are waiting for it to happen. But it needs to serve a purpose. If Prison RP is fun, then it's rewarding players for RPing a criminal. This in itself isn't a bad thing, but a prison system's main purpose should be to act as a deterrent for players to commit crime and remove their characters from the streets if they get caught.

Let's not lose sight of that.

As Western replied, i meant that I don't want to be punished as if i broke the rules, if my character does the crime, he does the time. Right now you get punished as if you broke server rules, car ram, non RP beh, DM or whatever. 

And i thought about that, as it is with all new things on this server, new car, people buy it, new item people try it, when they finally release new club interiors, most of the clubs will have them, when they release new Trucker job, most of the characters will become truckers, that's a problem, but this wave of people trying stuff will end sooner or later so I'd still want new prison system to be added despite some side effects. 

Just now, Westen said:

because you decided to play the game a certain way

Getting robbed on a weekly basis and having money permanently taken from you is detrimental to the user experience. Logging in and your car being gone, again, is detrimental to the user experience.

I'm genuinely not trying to argue. I agree with everything you say. I just want everything to make sense IC. And I personally believe that sometimes you need to invoke OOC for that to happen.

I'm just trying to be the shoulder angel to your shoulder devil. Or is it the other way around?

1 hour ago, Pan Grama said:

Getting robbed on a weekly basis and having money permanently taken from you is detrimental to the user experience. Logging in and your car being gone, again, is detrimental to the user experience.

I'm genuinely not trying to argue. I agree with everything you say. I just want everything to make sense IC. And I personally believe that sometimes you need to invoke OOC for that to happen.

Players should never be punished OOCly for engaging in something that's permissible ICly. The answer to your dilemma definitely isn't punishing players OOCly for being criminals (and usually much more harshly than breaking server rules, oddly enough.) It's fixing the system in order to give criminals an IC reason to be afraid of being caught by police. As I said before, what criminal is going to be afraid of murdering someone if they know they'll be out on the streets in two days, max?

This is why reformation of the prison system is needed to eliminate the OOC aspect of the punishment the character is receiving and make it entirely an IC punishment. That will allow the player to still have fun while the criminal does not, which is the key component we're missing right now - you reduce the number of crimes you're describing by putting away those who commit them for longer. Imagine a world in which, when caught in the commission of an armed robbery, they're not thrown into a cell for twenty hours, but a full-blown penitentiary for two weeks. Maybe longer, depending on how things shape up. Sure, some pessimistic individuals could still view that as an OOC punishment, but the mindset people should have about it is that it permits more organic development of their character by networking them with other criminals in a realistic fashion.

But we can't reasonably take off the kid gloves with regards to prison time if we don't make the prisons an engaging experience that can enrich the story of a character sentenced to be there, rather than an OOC punishment from which people can reasonably escape by breaking server rules and being jailed for an even shorter amount of time.

Edited by Smilesville

There should be few if any rules against prisoners fighting in jail.  Nothing breaks up the tedium like a good brawl.  Have an underground prison fight circuit.  Have outdoor work crews doing road work or whatever, just for a change of pace.  Have some kind of escape mechanic, and then use forums or facebrowser to put up mug shots of escaped cons, so LSPD can hunt them down and people can report them.

The difficult part is that it all depends on the other people in the prison.  If no one is on, it's going to get brutally boring.

EDIT

Maybe make prison like a job?  Have a 'dollar amount' that a character has to put in by being on shift in prison.  When he does that, he gets released. He doesn't get any money, its just a way to let the character serve time by putting in effort in game.  More effort, out faster.

Edited by jcat
More stupid idears

Supporting this. Although I wonder if the playerbase of 150-200 is big enough for a prison system. But well since Sandy Shores is even a thing now, it could work. I just think that until it grows bigger, people should RP prison guards at all times, even when no one is on duty. 
I suggest we only use one block or a small part of boilingbroke.

But the illegal side of this server definitely needs a prison. Right now people go out riding to each other's territory, but prison is where a lot of deals are made.

Depending on how far off the development team are from a DoC release would determine on whether this is worth pursuing or not.

Obviously if we're talking a good chunk of time away from a DoC, which I'm assuming is the case, then it would be fantastic to see a semi-makeshift prison to create a more immersive roleplay environment for your character post-crime. 

On the other hand, if we're just several months away from a DoC release, I don't think pursuing this would be helpful as it would obviously take time to do and would draw resources and manpower away from the actual DoC.

The idea behind this is fantastic though, there's no doubting that, but with the relatively small development team the server has it could prove to be a detriment to the Doc release, and thus the server, in the grand scheme of things. 

6 hours ago, perkydon said:

On the other hand, if we're just several months away from a DoC release, I don't think pursuing this would be helpful as it would obviously take time to do and would draw resources and manpower away from the actual DoC.

The remarkably small amount of effort it would take offsets this; even if we just dropped players in the middle of Bolingbroke and created a rule against leaving while you have time left in your sentence (or create a fixture to prevent them from leaving) it would be a massive improvement over what we have now and allow for that player networking.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the main reasons I lost interest in GTA:W was because of the lack of prison or development of some kind of incarceration facility. 

There is no RP post-arrest. As a Lawyer character this soon became extremely frustrating. 

This is a good suggestion and something should be considered, if not this, to put in a temporary placeholder Prison System.