Placeholder Prison & Longer Sentences

Smilesville

Short description: Implement temporary prisons into the server in anticipation of the implementation of the intended Department of Corrections.

Before someone looks at this and says, "we're already working on prisons, locked on that note," please read the entirety of the suggestion before doing so.

Detailed description: We've had the Department of Corrections in the works for quite some time now - well over half a year - and the reason I've seen cited most frequently is that we don't have the server framework to support all the placeable furniture we would need to constitute a prison. Therefore, the chief issue my suggestion addresses is putting a framework in place until such a point in time that 0.4 addresses the mechanical issues.

This may not be a perfect solution, but I can see a number of existing interiors working in place of whatever is intended.

The police department cells can easily be utilized to simulate a single hall in the inmate holding facility.

The police and/or sheriff's office interiors could serve a variety of functions.

Bolingbroke is the obvious choice for the exterior of the prison, and with some minor mechanical tweaks and rule additions, we can prevent breakouts while we sort out exactly how we want the prison system to work.

With some creative use of the gun range, we could get something roughly appearing to be a visitation center.

Commands to add: Probably a ton, I'm not sure how we could streamline things on the backend for a smaller number of commands with regards to how everything should work.

/pduty (or augment an existing command to allow officers to go on duty in the prisons)

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? From my point of view, pushing the server to the next level in terms of realism hinges on fixing the dilapidated state of the justice system. The Department of Justice is in the works and coming along swimmingly, but so long as there are only 24/48 hour sentence maximums for crimes, it renders calling the police an exercise in futility when they have no teeth with which to punish the most serious offenders. It encourages the most ridiculous and unrealistic situations when you witness someone murder another person, only to be free and on the streets two days later.

Regardless of the mechanical state of the server in being able to produce interiors exactly as we would like them, we need something to address the fact that much of what happens after an individual is arrested is highly unrealistic through no fault of the players involved - after all, what criminal would be afraid of going to prison if he knew he only had to stay in for two days?

This is important not only for server realism with regards to the punishment of crime, but to encourage organic development of criminal organizations rather than having to rely on very awkward street interactions; what better way to find like-minded criminals than to network through the prison system? In this way, even characters sent to prison for life could be important in recruitment for a particular gang.

Additional information: To complete the prison atmosphere, I'd recommend throwing in a consignment shop to purchase small luxuries from (which prisoners can work at for additional cash on hand, not in the bank.) Maybe throw in a scripted job or two to give them something to do while waiting for other prisoners. They should have restricted bank access while they're on the inside (withdrawal/transfers, but deposits are okay.) Maybe introduce a method by which a prisoner can purchase contraband, too (smuggle it through visitation?) The possibilities are endless.

Edited by Smilesville
  • Upvote 3

Prison should be one of the top priorities after the economy, or even higher as we can't have a decent civil game society when people won't get properly punished.

And if someone gonna pull the "I don't wanna be forced" card here again then know that heavy RP server means heavy punishments for IC crimes. If you don't like it? Be smarter, more careful, plan more... OR stay off the crime OR just buy world points and create a lot of characters to commit crimes while one of the others is doing time.

Edited by Guest
Just now, Lance said:

If prison is not just four walls I'm all for longer sentences.

That's the idea, here, by tossing everyone into a mixed prison population - you're interacting with a ton of other prisoners, and whichever officers are able to pop on and play the role of prison guards. I wouldn't even be opposed to throwing in a mini scripted job into the prison just to give them something to do while they wait for other inmates to populate the prison.

The current jail system is indeed the same as an ajail, though.

Edited by Smilesville
8 hours ago, Smilesville said:

That's the idea, here, by tossing everyone into a mixed prison population - you're interacting with a ton of other prisoners, and whichever officers are able to pop on and play the role of prison guards. I wouldn't even be opposed to throwing in a mini scripted job into the prison just to give them something to do while they wait for other inmates to populate the prison.

The current jail system is indeed the same as an ajail, though.

Which is annoying, my friend was thrown into a little room for 36 hours. Why? Because he RPed a criminal, so let's think about it that way, ajail = if you get prisoned by cops. So why do you get ajail? Because you break the rules and you get it as a punishment. Being a criminal or getting busted by the cops is still RPing. What did we learn? When you go to prison you basically get punished for RPing a criminal. System needs to be a priority, i heard someone was working on it before i had to leave the server 8 months ago, i guess that was bullshit or that project leader left the server, not sure but this needs to be done ASAP, custom interior with stuff to do, maybe even some prison NPCs who you can interact with. For a start, we should simply get a custom prison interior with all the details a real prison should have(not just cells), then we can think about the scripts and things to do in prison. 

7 hours ago, Lance said:

punished for RPing a criminal

You should be punished for RPing a criminal. That's the trade-off for being a criminal. Someone who RPs a law abiding citizen doesn't have to worry about that kind of thing. If you're faced with 36 hours of boredom because you were caught committing a crime, then maybe you'll think about that before you do the crime.

On the flip side, if a functioning prison system is developed and, as the brand-new feature, everybody wants to try it, how are players going to get their characters into prison? Commit a serious crime and intentionally get caught?

I'm all for a prison system. I know a lot of people who are waiting for it to happen. But it needs to serve a purpose. If Prison RP is fun, then it's rewarding players for RPing a criminal. This in itself isn't a bad thing, but a prison system's main purpose should be to act as a deterrent for players to commit crime and remove their characters from the streets if they get caught.

Let's not lose sight of that.

12 minutes ago, Pan Grama said:

You should be punished for RPing a criminal. That's the trade-off for being a criminal. Someone who RPs a law abiding citizen doesn't have to worry about that kind of thing. If you're faced with 36 hours of boredom because you were caught committing a crime, then maybe you'll think about that before you do the crime.

YOU as the player should not be punished for choosing to play the server a certain way - your character should be punished for their actions. Punishing the player for choosing that path is how you get people to quit, and would lead to a very stale environment if pursued.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
18 minutes ago, Westen said:

Punishing the player for choosing that path is how you get people to quit

I think it's a very short-sighted player who would create a criminal, commit a crime and then quit when faced with a punishment they didn't want to do.

I kinda agree with you about the player being punished for the character, but I've always believed that RP works best when IC and OOC are working together. If a player is aware that jail is boring and long then maybe they would consider the crime they're about to do. Is it worth the jail time? The player and character are having the same thoughts. That has to be a good thing, right?

Like I said in my previous post, I am all for a prison system. However, character crime without fear of character punishment is a bad state. Character crime with player punishment is not ideal either, but better than the former. In my opinion anyway.

I was just trying to say that a prison system needs to serve a purpose. If that purpose is to provide exciting Prison RP for players, then that's fine. Is it possible to do that and also act as a deterrent for criminals? I'm not sure. That daunting task falls to the admin.