Realistic Roleplay (Criminal and Legal)

Benny Black

Hey there I want to discuss the concept of character realism, and generally playing a real person. My character is a mob associate, and has been for quite some time. During this time i've experienced some "strange" encounters with civilian roleplayers that i'd like to discuss here. First off, I'm gonna give a example not naming names. My character, Frank Russo, visited a local club, and demanded money from the owner in a attempt to extort her. Her response was, "I'm not paying you shit. You can't muscle me." When she said that my character said okay, and left. She later approached a friend of my character, and screamed at him in the street saying she'd have us all killed, and murder us all. (OOC: She blatantly metagamed knowing who my friend was through screenshots.) Keep in mind this woman is a passive roleplayer, a business owner not connected to crime in anyway. 

I've had alot of other experiences similar to the one listed above. I've had regular every day citizens try to PK, and CK my character for trying to extort them. Civilians have attempted to PK, and CK my character over insulting them, extortion attempts, and sometimes my character just gets into a fight with them. My general point here is that if you're a civilian your first reaction to a hardened criminal threatening you, attacking you etc. shouldn't be "I'mma go kill him." That isn't realistic. Tell me how often IRL when a man gets into a fight with you or tries to extort your business is your first response i'm going to attempt to kill this man? I assume not ever. I've been getting alot of this type of roleplay where all civilians think their either A. Rambo or B. God. I've had alot of roleplay experiences ruined when civilians attempt to PK me over things that realistically you as a civilian wouldn't try to kill someone over. I feel there should be some sort of fearrp in these type of situations. End of the day my point is I shouldn't have to constantly CK, and PK civilians because honestly I don't enjoy it. My faction in general has had to deal with alot of civilians who think they're god, and go around trying to PK hardened criminals over basic bullshit like this.

I feel as a civilian you should attempt to realistically roleplay a civilian, and rarely or never should you attempt to murder another human being. If you do you should atleast roleplay it properly, and realistically to fit a normal human being. I'm now going to discuss the other side of the coin, criminal roleplay. I find this is much more prevalent with unofficial factions or individual criminals than anything else. Most of the factions have been killing it lately as far as roleplay quality. So, i'll be discussing "unofficial" factions, and independents here. If you're planning to roleplay let's say a mobsters or a gangbanger. You should take the time to do a decent amount of research on how to roleplay this type of character. I've had people walk up to me IG, and within the first 5 minutes of talking to them they tell me how they're a ex-member of the mafia, and how they've killed all these people etc. I've also seen people openly discuss murdering people over the phone without fear of wiretaps or otherwise. This sort of roleplay honestly kills my enjoyment of the server, and has begun to force me to only roleplay with my own group.

I'm asking for civilians, and criminals to realistically roleplay their appropiate roles. I think if we all take even 5 seconds before doing something to consider if you would realistically do this IRL, we could make the roleplay quality that much better. It just doesn't make sense for civilians to go around trying to kill people, and for criminals to be blatantly open about how they're criminals. For criminal roleplay, you should atleast take a minute to research this group, and if you don't have any experience roleplaying a criminal. You should definetely join some sort of group to guide you because otherwise you get the sort of cancerous in your face, "Yeah i've killed 5 people, and i'm in the mafia" roleplay that i've been getting. I've seen criminals PK random citizens in the Mirror Park parking lot because they insulted them.

I really feel this is a issue that needs to be discussed, and I apologize if this isn't written with the best English as i'm typing this rather quickly. I think what i'm asking for isn't alot. I'm just asking for people to take the time to consider if this is a realistic thing for a person to do or if this makes sense for their character to do.

Edited by Benny Black
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
Just now, Benny Black said:

I feel as a civilian you should attempt to realistically roleplay a civilian, and rarely or never should you attempt to murder another human

In general, killings should ALWAYS be considered the last option. I see it too often that people just jump to killing when other options are on the table, Why not threaten, extort, or something. 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

You have a good point, Benny. But in 2019 the general attitude of population in wealthy areas towards old-school criminals has changed. You shouldn't really expect people to wet their pants if they see you. It's just not going to happen. Not even because "that's a game, they don't have realistic fear", not really. In reality, "civilian" is a very broad term. Past could be different. 

• Upvote 1

I agree, jumping straight to "I'll have u killed Gtfo" as a civilian is not the best option and i agree that overall civilians are too brave, yeah i know it's a game but come on. 

My character is also a club owner but he's not just your typical rich boy. He's been through a lot and he also knows how streets work since he was a part of a street gang when he was young. Obviously he would not just let anyone just extort himself, but first thing would be to talk himself out of it, make a deal of some sort,not just say "I'll kill u" and wait when a shootout with a local gang starts. 

It's because people aren't roleplaying characters, they're roleplaying exaggerated versions of themselves and a "loss" in game is a blow to the ego OOC. 

EDIT: I also want to say this, because I believe it to be inevitable before someone tries to make the argument that "in 2019, extortion doesn't happen anymore and therefore these people have every right to tell a organized criminal to fuck themselves." It's simply not the case. The mob is still very much involved in what they always have been. The only difference is methods change in how they duck law enforcement. The playing field has also changed, the government is much more concerned with Eurasian organized crime, illegal immigration, and the war on Mexican DTOs. 

SOURCE: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3723756/amp/Indictment-charges-46-East-Coast-organized-crime-case.html

Edited by Chef
  • Upvote 3

Oh yeah, I agree with everything you've said here. 

I've unfortunately noticed that alot of passive roleplayers are in fact non passive and even while roleplaying as supposedly normal civilians, not many of them rp fear of people who in fact aren't normal civilians and in some cases are tatted up gang members. In the past, my MS13 affiliated female character confronted another random female, who was a civilian about trying to sell cocaine in her gang's territory, she was met with a bunch of rude comments and bullshit in return when she could've very easily talked her way out of the situation without acting the way she did. It was like she knew the fact that my character could've very well stabbed her to death at that exact moment, yet didn't care just because.

Not many civilians irl would have the balls to try to openly sell drugs (especially not cocaine) in MS-13 territory, let alone openly admit to a member of the latter gang that they're planning and/or are selling within their territory. Realistically that wouldn't end well at all and ICly? It didn't. I have no doubt that that same person is going around and doing the exact same thing, though.

On the other side, I've also noticed alot of poorly rped gang members and mobsters, who either kill people for shitty reasons (Like defending yourself against a provoker) while using the fact that they rp complete psychopaths as an excuse or as you mentioned, openly admit to certain things such as being part of a gang, openly admitting to murders in public and/or discussing murders/drug / gun deals over the phone without the use of proper codewords that most smart criminals use in real life to avoid law enforcement attention.

Now I can fully understand and get behind gang member admitting to being part of a certain gang, gang affiliation is usually something that these people are extremely proud of and they generally flaunt it wherever they go. It however makes zero sense for somebody to openly admit to murders as a gang member, or to claim to be a mobster/ex mobster. I say this because being a mobster is much, much worse than being in a gang. Gangs generally get much less law enforcement attention than mobs do and that's a known fact. It's probably something your character wouldn't particularly want to admit to if he knew what was good for him.

Nobody that likes their freedom or even their citizenship is going to openly brag or discuss murdering somebody while they're in public or on the phone, period. I don't care how crazy or badass your character is, it's simply shit roleplay.

Edited by la tweaker
20 minutes ago, Benny Black said:

@Estes I'm not asking them to "wet their pants" in fear. I'm asking for them to take a realistic option like for example calling the police. Not whipping out a gun, and trying to kill me.

If they just take you at gunpoint and then (if you leave) don't proceed with it, simply doing "ah w/e", then F.