Realistic Roleplay (Criminal and Legal)

Benny Black

48 minutes ago, Gerda said:

I'm not defending the poor RP mentioned in Thirteen post, but I don't understand why people think that 90s style extortion is not possible in 2019

I agree my man, it exists. But it's unrealistic to come to Del Perro Pier or Downtown, for example, and do that. Try extorting Starbucks in Santa Monica tomorrow. You'll understand what I mean.

It exists in generally poor areas.

1 hour ago, Estes said:

I agree my man, it exists. But it's unrealistic to come to Del Perro Pier or Downtown, for example, and do that. Try extorting Starbucks in Santa Monica tomorrow. You'll understand what I mean.

It exists in generally poor areas.

True. More expensive area means smarter approach to extortion. For example threatening with Unions.

I think that the concept of fear in general is something that has always relied on reputation, right. It makes sense if you think about it > Mobster X or Gangster Y will have been around for so long that through the grapevine, everyone in their criminal circle or who indirectly deals with them know to fear them (They've seen in the past what happened to friends that ignored them, etcetera). If civilians defy you or anyone attempting to extort them, I'd chalk it down as hubris or ignorance. And if they don't want to learn, you'll have to teach them, right?

Now I'm not going to say either party should murder each other over this - as stated before by others, murder is one of the very last methods of escalating the situation. As a private civilian, there are countless other ways you could go. You could attempt to defend yourself, you could attempt to work with the person demanding protection money or you could go to the police. As a criminal however there is also a realistic scale of escalation. Yeah, sure, the guy defied you. That  doesn't mean you have to kill them and or destroy their livelihood immediately. There are several ways you can go. First go with a beating; then trash their store, etc. Either way, it is important for both sides here to show some restraint for the desired outcome; good roleplay.

That being said I agree with what's been said above. If you'd attempt to extort the Santa Monica starbucks by walking in and demanding protection money, you're probably going to have a bad time. Security systems have evolved and so should the criminals that try to go around them.

Edited by Big_Smokes

Honestly, I'm not going into details but I've already gotten into a situation like this with your character but as you already know that the Roleplay ended up lasting a month (( I enjoyed it )). My point is that I do agree that just whipping out a gun is quite unrealistic but going through the situation myself; I tried calling the cops, tried talking about it, and when everything seemed hopeless, my character got paranoid, and then the gun felt like the only way. (( That is before what happened ? - Let's not talk about it )) 

Being on point, there indeed are two sides of these kinds of RP. As thirteen said, being approached by heaps ton of people just demanding ransom becomes unsettling and quite frankly less intimidating at one point because you get used to it. It also depends on how the character trying to commit a crime portrays himself. An alone white man, wearing a track suit and carrying a bag around his body isn't really that scary or fearsome because it isn't the 80's or 90's. But yeah, it all depends on both the sides.

Anyone can be at fault when being involved in this RP. No one ever knows what the character has been through whether it is the criminal or the civilian so you don't really know how things are going to turn out, just like in real life; you never know where there's someone who's slightly mentally unstable and he/she ends up doing something that no one knew that person was capable of. Then there are certain locations as well, extorting a business in Mirror Park is quite unrealistic as it is; considering it's one of the most populated areas around the map. Anyway yeah there is a need to prevent passive roleplayers who can't RP fear but there is a need to pull some brakes on the criminal RP as well when committing a crime.

Edited by Gowdamn
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Gerda said:

Btw, paying to the mafia also creates feuds between the gangs which is beneficial to the server. I really don't see why players who RP business owners so against extortion. It's not a fail for a player if her/his character got extorted. 

Except it doesn't - though I don't blame you for having this misconception. If you pay one gang and a second comes knocking at your door, you can't just mention the first and be done with it. The second gang finds it much easier to torch you than deal with the first gang, and the first gang couldn't give two shits about fighting another gang to maintain their income. Each will just burn you down if you point to the other.

It's literally a no-win scenario, so the only viable path is to shoot them yourself to prevent further extortion attempts and hire a bunch of people with guns - and at that point, they're practically a gang themselves.

That's part of what's wrong with criminal RP.

Edited by Smilesville
2 hours ago, Smilesville said:

Except it doesn't - though I don't blame you for having this misconception. If you pay one gang and a second comes knocking at your door, you can't just mention the first and be done with it. The second gang finds it much easier to torch you than deal with the first gang, and the first gang couldn't give two shits about fighting another gang to maintain their income. Each will just burn you down if you point to the other.

That is another unfortunate side-effect of the whole thing, yes. Most of the businesses doesn't generate enough income for the faction that is claiming to offer protection, to make it worth actually putting themselves out there offering protection. So it just leaves the business owners caught in the middle, with nowhere to go. 

And that's how "civilians" turn into "criminals".

• Upvote 1

You're extorting club owners.

Protection Rackets are no longer a thing, they happen rarely in smaller cities, and not in the US.

Los Santos in the GTA V world is one of two main cities, and it replicates Los Angeles.

From my personal experience, It's not hard to tell you're a part of the mob, your friends extorted my character, then you punched me in the face in a very public place. You've been arrested for murder, you own a waste management company.

It's 2019, not the 80's or 90's. The mob now runs the cities in the shadows, they're very lowkey, you're very high key.

There are certain characters in the mob who I think are doing it perfectly, but extorting club owners is a bit silly. You don't know the back story, you don't know really anything about that character, they could be dating the boss of a street gang.

Protection rackets are still a thing - when done right. However if your character was a person IRL, you would of been locked up for life a long time ago.

Extorting strangers is not a very good way to go, and that's just from my opinion.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but IMO you're character doesn't seem to have a regard for your own safety or police. 

All it takes is that club owner to tell the police, my character to tell the police, and one more person - and you and your whole crew is under investigation.

• Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, ICE said:

Protection Rackets are no longer a thing, they happen rarely in smaller cities, and not in the US.

Los Santos in the GTA V world is one of two main cities, and it replicates Los Angeles.

Protection rackets are so a thing. In fact, a majority of the mafia's income is based on extortion, loansharking and illegal gambling. Always has been, likely always will be. The three go hand, in hand, in hand. 

https://nypost.com/2019/03/13/reputed-mobsters-acquitted-in-racketeering-and-extortion-case/

As for your other points, yes. You never know who you could be fucking with via third party. Maybe that club owner already pays someone more powerful, maybe they're a criminal themselves. These are the risks we take as criminal RPers and often times we face consequence because of them. However, the knife cuts both ways. For instance, a guy at a club hit on my IC girlfriend and tried to pick her up. When I showed up, he insulted me and picked a fight. Not something wise to do against a character that's made in La Cosa Nostra. However, he didn't know. So he faced the consequences. That's life. But to say we should have some sort of IC policy to avoid club owners is just rather foolish, especially considering we are well aware they are the biggest money makers IG. 

The mob still has major control in 2019. Indeed, unlike how their control used to be twenty or thirty years ago but still power none the less. In fact, part of the reason it has dwindled over the years is due to their own members turning state witness and the uprising of Eurasian OC which has posed a larger threat. We're based in a fictional city (Los Santos). If nobody is challenging us IG, and our members aren't flipping, why should we pretend to not have power when we do? We're in a position we're in because we have solid relationships IG that allow us to flourish. You can't just say that because the Colombo family in New York isn't what it used to be that we should have to act as if we're facing the same hard times. Many of us act behind the scenes and in the shadows, but there are still individuals just like in real life who are a bit more flashy and open about what they do. Again, it's an IC issue.

And then you go on to say well, protection rackets actually do exist. Okay which is it? They do or don't? Do a bit of research and show me some sources that actually say extortion is extinct. It's not, case and point.

Edited by Chef
  • Upvote 1

I fail to see the problem here with the way the person reacted to your failed attempt at extorting them? The key word here is "she said". She could say she once held the fastest 100m sprint against Bolt himself, doesn't mean much. No matter what people say but it's what they actually DO is a different question all together. If you think people out in the real world don't start throwing the "I'm going to kill/have you killed comment" around. It's a common form of emotional defence. She clearly wouldn't react the way she did if she didn't fear you ICly. That is something you need to prey off of like a Lion to meat. If they're acting like that, it's normally a positive down the line than a negative you need to bring OOCly onto a thread. If you believe metagame was involved, make a forum report and allow the appropriate actions from staff to take effect.

Edited by Lewwwy

I'd like to start off by a little nod to the OP, I agree that civilians on this server can literally give you cancer sometimes.

Now, coming from a pissy elitist... you can expect what I'm gonna say. I roleplay a civilian on a daily basis - a weak Asian girl, who doesn't have any back up, it being physical and mental strength or too many hard criminal friends she could rely on.

For this exact reason, after multiple blackmailings and other not pleasant encounters with people I started roleplaying anxiety.
My only therapist who I roleplayed with turned out to be : a criminal, a pizza place owner and a professional therapist at the same time.

He got CK-ed. Now my character has no therapist and she smokes her ass off daily to avoid everyday problems.

Now, this is my way of roleplaying - realistic, going even as far as to break my character concept just because of what happens in character. Many people on this server have never head of character development and they're here to roleplay for fun. These guys need to understand that roleplaying is a game, but it's meant to be taken seriously at all times - even if you decide to do stupid shit in character, it's expected of you to roleplay real consequences of your actions. Now, for the reasons OP has listed I am not engaging in any kind of criminal roleplay on this server. Please hear me out though, specific factions here are killing it and their roleplay is amazing (once again, repeating what OP said) and I'm not saying every criminal on the server is a dumb ass.

Faction roleplay is huge on this server, but if we take into consideration any civilians who might be on the edge of being law-obiding citizens and fucking Rambo, then we have a problem. Why?

Because then most of the server is actually criminals in disguise, who can take anyone's life no fucks given over little shit like what OP said.
My advice is: when you go for that PK and you're a civilian, think of it like you're killing a person in real life. Even if you KNOW you will NOT face consequences because PD won't give a single fuck about it, think for a minute what impact it's gonna have on your law-obiding civilian character.

This goes to everyone. Civilians, street racers, criminals, cops, everyone else - use your head when you play here, at all times. Imagine how fucked you would feel for taking someone's life, or even having to pay $50,000 in fines for cop-baiting. It might not be a concern in game, but if you are trying to portray a real person - then it is a concern.

Edited by hentai!
  • Upvote 2