Famous Characters.

ICE

7 hours ago, Lance said:

Proper lad Nueur. 

Also Kheidira is too much, try something less famous. Maybe just famous in MLS

Yeah, well he's gone from Nottingham Forest to LA Galaxy, so realistically he wouldn't be insanely famous yet, not until the next season where he 

I'm going to say this:

Fame/Celebrity is a two way street.  A person is a celebrity because other people care about what he's doing.  If the people in game when you're playing don't care about what your character is doing, you're going to have a tough sell.

• Your character has to consistently do things.
  • You have to promote what your character is doing so people know what he is doing.
  • Lastly, people need to ICly care about what your character is doing.  This is the hard part because it requires the voluntary cooperation of multiple people.

Like the character who was doing Datawars a while ago.  A lot of people knew about him because he was constantly promoting Datawars on Facebroswer and put up a lot of content for it.  Sometimes he got good reactions ICly, sometimes he got bad reactions ICly.

Even then, consider what you expect from people who acknowledge your character's fame.  How do you want people to ICly react in what is effectively a small town of 200 at peak times?  Will people be willing to react that way? 

Aye. I'm of the opinion generally that non-contentious fame probably attaches best to character-specific deeds or a generic profession, as opposed to fame resulting from belonging to any particular real-life group whose members are finite. Really, these sorts of things are contextual as OP has alluded to when they suggested that Nottingham Forest (who are shite, on a sidenote) would be non-contentious given the setting and international reach of the server.

No real paparazzi, no "fans", a city that is collectively full of people trying to go after their own ambitions. All those are factors that will lead to the failure of your celebrity character.

No one that'll roleplay a paparazzi will be able to capture the scene in a proper way with the right sound effects and the hard work that goes behind the creation of the video, not to mention the lack of things your character will be doing. Unless there's a genuine faction that is truly gigantic, making this work will be very hard, especially not with a playerbase of 150 players, with a huge amount of cops that probably won't care, civilians that run their own companies and doing other jobs, and criminals that are just committing crimes. Very rarely do you see this kind of roleplay succeed, and a lot of those celebrities end up being ingrained in the public eye too much that slowly there would be no real meaning to their fame because of how easy they are to find and speak to.

If you wish to do it, go ahead, but you'll burn out quicker than you think. Development wise you won't go anywhere, because there isn't a faction to host you or work with you to shape up your character, unless you wish to start an already developed character, which will be impossible in this case because you can do anything except have predetermined fame for a character you have done nothing on.

Edited by Serower

I think it should rather not be done, as it can slightly be classified as Powergaming. I mean, for example if I RP a character who's related to Travis Scott. And your character is a massive Travis Scott fan, that would mean he would have to know me. Yet I cannot force you, to Roleplay that you know my character because of that. And that's where character stories and reality and fiction collide in a manner where both parties are right and also wrong. So, personally. I wouldn't. Becoming famous IC, sure, but do that through development. But RPing someone who already is/has been famous is.. Trash RP in my honest opinion. No offense to anyone intended, but it's the classic "IM RICH AS FUCK, IM PRETTY, IM FAMOUS, JACK OF ALL TRADES" RP. It kind of reminds me of characters that are made play 2 win, as in they're muscular, superstrong, have no fear, are extraordinarily attractive. Speak 15 languages and therefor understand everyone.

EDIT: It's just. No offence. But if my character is a football fan, he SHOULD know you. But by RPing him that, you're kind of OOC enforcing me to know you IC, in order to be able to properly RP a football fan if you get me?

Edited by Profit Prophet