GTAW Discord needs to be looked at badly.

Velora

I won't sugar coat it, but the main GTAW discord needs a hard look at by senior administration. It is the portal to this community, many new players will see that as one of the first things they encounter as they come in, and what do they see? Generally its a very spammy and trolly place. Personally for myself, and many others I've spoken to, it is a place to be avoided because you get nothing useful out of it.

I myself, do not feel comfortable posting there. Most times I post there to ask something, my question gets lost quickly under the spam, or it is made fun of. One time I posted there, and found out the next day that just my activity caused people to get into my steam account, looking for any information they could dig up on me. This is not welcoming at all (Rather creepy). I've since retreated back to hiding any information I can, because being introverted has protected me in the past. 

So what do we do? Heavy moderation? That certainly could work in the short term, but you really do need to remove the elements that are causing this. 

I would suggest making general into a heavily moderated space, where all players, new and old alike can be welcome, without worry. We could then make a second channel, a more relaxed section..  where people can continue to be.. as they are now.  Furthermore that should be an opt in section, where you are required to use a Bot command (or something) to sign up for it, that way its invisible to those who might stumble accidentally in.

First impressions are key. If we as a community want to grow, we really are going to have to put on a better first image to those who are new. Our main method of communication needs to be welcoming, to everyone.

Many players and.. even some admins have mentioned they avoid the GTAW Discord  because it is "cancer".. this should not be what our community portal is like.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 3

Heavily moderating a channel will do nothing but cause people to become reclusive and refuse to speak altogether, to which another thread will pop up by somebody saying that the community Discord is dead because nobody speaks in it due to them being fearful of being punished.

Whilst I do not disagree with you that there are toxic people out there, others treat the channel as a place to be more relaxed. You have been asking questions in #general which is the wrong place to ask (if you've done this), as #support is the correct channel to go to for that type of stuff. People will not take questions as serious in #general because #support is usually handled by our Community Support team who will assist you there. 

If somebody has genuinely done something wrong, report them and they can be muted.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 3