Weapon Scrolling.

Sami.

The thing about having to type out /me's for small weapons makes it near impossible in terms of OOC fairness. IRL it takes me less than 3 seconds to draw a pistol from under a shirt/hoodie that has been tucked away behind my belt line, even less if it is a smaller form of a pistol that can be easily hidden in a hoodies pocket or loose form of pants. Yet, for me it takes at least 10 seconds to type out a /me as I have to think words to put into the sentence in order for it to not look like poor RP in terms of drawing a handgun. That is the sole reason of having the rule state that small arms are not required to be role-played being drawn, with the purpose behind it being that not everyone is always able to type quickly. This is why countless RP communities that are based around RP that can involve the usage of small arms have the rules in terms of weapons as we do here - it is simply due to OOC fairness on both sides. That being said of course, the requirement for large weapons to be RP'd being withdrawn from a reasonable location is still there, otherwise people will carry AK's and what not all the time and ruin immersion.

You are still more than welcome to RP withdrawing your handgun when you have the upper hand during a situation, such as an unexpected attack against someone - that's what I personally prefer doing, as it causes less upset in the victims when the reason behind your attack is justified and they know it.

Edited by Shinto
grammar fixes
1 hour ago, bool said:

AHK scripts or copy pasting resulting in low effort RP should not be allowed.

Copy pasting short descriptions or useful lines is not something that always results in "low" roleplay, it's just saving time.
The rules state that you don't need to emote scrolling certain weapons, so I'm just saying that if OP thinks it's bad then he could just do what I suggested to feel like the one special snowflake.

1 hour ago, hentai! said:

Copy pasting short descriptions or useful lines is not something that always results in "low" roleplay, it's just saving time.
The rules state that you don't need to emote scrolling certain weapons, so I'm just saying that if OP thinks it's bad then he could just do what I suggested to feel like the one special snowflake.

I'd pretty much considered it low effort if you're copy pasting in role play situations. Copy pasting generally leads to non 'organic' RP and is pretty much only used by those who just go around DM'ing players because they cba typing a few lines zz.

If a player is incapable of doing this, I would consider their standards pretty low for a server that tries to set that standard above the bar and should probably not play on the server. People who play expect good RP, there's a reason the application exists. It's not so people can be lazy with their role play and just copy paste in a situation for example where they're about to kill someone.

That's just how I've seen it and always viewed it. Either way, not an issue considering small weapons do not need to be role played beforehand and I doubt it will change, no reason for it too.

If you're just copy pasting descriptions that's fine, but /examine essentially does the same thing and with less effort since you no longer need to do anything for players to view it once it's set. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by bool
1 hour ago, bool said:

If you're just copy pasting descriptions that's fine, but /examine essentially does the same thing and with less effort since you no longer need to do anything for players to view it once it's set. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Wish more people knew about /examine tbh.

Some people are faster than others, and if you leave that up to players to RP out, you're going to see the resurgence of every character being a grizzled military veteran.

That's a big no from me, dawg.

Let a player's reflexes decide; it's better than any other solution short of forcing mechanical stats.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, bool said:

I'd pretty much considered it low effort if you're copy pasting in role play situations. Copy pasting generally leads to non 'organic' RP and is pretty much only used by those who just go around DM'ing players because they cba typing a few lines zz.

5 hours ago, Smilesville said:

Some people are faster than others, and if you leave that up to players to RP out, you're going to see the resurgence of every character being a grizzled military veteran.

Exactly what Smilesville said. You can't compare the "quality" of the RP by how fast someone types.. Shortcuts are in fact, useful when it comes to /me (expressions) for example. A lot of times, people don't even give a chance to fight back via /me or through the script when they're attacked.

Just now, ALT2 said:

Exactly what Smilesville said. You can't compare the "quality" of the RP by how fast someone types.. Shortcuts are in fact, useful when it comes to /me (expressions) for example. A lot of times, people don't even give a chance to fight back via /me or through the script when they're attacked.

I'm implying it's low effort. Heavy role play servers generally require effort, kind of the whole point of heavy based servers. What I'm referring to is irrelevant to what Smilesville mentioned. In fact, if the rules were switched and you had to role play taking out all weapons, then it would just be a matter of who can automate their copy pasted RP text before the other, so really - it's not useful and unnecessary which is why it's completely fine the way it is. The clarity of the role play itself if it was changed would just be a AHK spam fast. You would constantly just see players automating /me takes out his gun and starts shooting at X or something along these lines every time they're about to get into a shoot out. Imo, it just looks bad and has no substance. 

It's exactly how it was in NGRP (dead SAMP server) which was a low/medium RP server. 

I don't see the need for any short cuts for role play purposes. If it's short cuts for jobs, or automating /engine (Y exists so no need), or describing your characters (/examine exists, so again - no need) then no harm in that imo. 

If a player throws a punch at you, you do not have to role play it (unless it's clear he's not trying to put you in injured mode and it was just RP excluding script actions). You can just fight back, it's not necessarily against the rules. The initiating player should, but other than that it's fair game. So I'm not seeing your issue.

In fact, I'm pretty sure you completely missed the point of my post. How fast someone can type != copy pasting role play actions. I'm opposed to the idea, and I agree with Smilesville. 

There's no reason to fix what isn't broken. If you catch yourself in a situation where you may get shot at, or injured in any way then it's pretty easy to tell what is going to happen before it actually plays out. At least, that's how it's always been with me. Small weapons do not need to be role played, so your argument which is:

A lot of times, people don't even give a chance to fight back via /me or through the script when they're attacked.

doesn't even exist, because you have a fair chance after all (because you don't have to role play anything) in case it isn't clear to you yet.

• 2 months later...

Something I've always thought might be a good work around with this issue is revamping the /equip function. As yes according to the rules because no roleplay is required with sidearms there are situations where someone who has their sidearm concealed can act faster than someone with their sidearm drawn. 

I think a good work around could be having /equip cause a sidearm to be unholstered, and it cannot be holstered again until someone does /unequip. Therefore an /ame pops up before someone can draw. Giving those who would have an advantage (Already have a weapon) have the time of the /ame to react. Which would also still allow people not to have to type out a /me.  

• 2 weeks later...

Let's say that a pistol is easier and takes less time to pull than a shotgun or every other rifle. If it's possible, you can develop a system that delays the time of pulling a gun and while it delays the pulling it writes on /ame (Name of the character) is pulling a (name of the weapon). The delay time will be different between weapons, for example, a pistol can take 3 seconds to pull and a shotgun can take around 5 or 6 to pull.

If it's possible to do it's probably a hard thing, but you can consider doing it.  

If it's too hard for the system to attract the pulling of a weapon through the TAB key so you can create a new command /pullpistol or /pullshotgun, every weapon will have its own command.

? 

• mj2002 locked this topic