[FPS Guide] How to get more FPS.

Guest Ingram

Seem like whatever I've tried nothing worked, GTA V has some kind of memory leak + GT-MP is a death wish for some, if you've a budget PC and play on very high-ultra settings consider turning them down because the higher the graphic the more memory it will require (VRAM and RAM) it starts with 3gb and gets up to nearly 7-8gb (+system) when there are around 20-30 players on with high graphics. I've tested it out on a 16gb dual memory card and the amount of FPS stutters has decreased dramatically.

So my suggestion,

Get atleast 16gb of RAM - DUAL!

Get a video card of atleast 4-6gb, (GTX 1060 6gb+ or 980TI), those are quite budget-powerful GPU nowadays, considering 1080TI is nearly 60-70FPS more.

Budget CPU of i5 is pretty much enough, I got i7 7700K and I got absolutely no differences whether overclocking it or putting on high priority, I think i5 is more than enough, and budget motherboard that supports it. No need to go for some fancy gaming motherboard, a budget motherboard of 100-150 bucks is enough.

The only problem is with the ram, if you play for a while when there are around 30-40 players online for approx 2-3 hours, alt tab and check your GTAV.exe memory usage, it's like 4-5gb more than it was when you first logged + you got other applications and it's system it kills it.

Also, I'd suggest to wait for GT-MP updates but most likely you will still suffer from FPS stutters because of a horrible GTAV optimization and GT-MP which is an alternative MP and not Rockstar's so you most likely experience more lags than on GTAO

*You can try overclock your system but I can promise you, whatever you do won't change anything, it will still swallow more ram = FPS stutters until crash. Overclocking is benefitful if you generally suffer from low FPS, and not particularly because of the ram usage. RAM is the main factor of your FPS stutter on GT-MP and GTAV after 1-2 hours of gameplay and plays mayor role in the FPS alongside the GPU so I suggest you to get a 2x8 2400-3000mhz set of ram.

Edited by Ingram
  • 1 month later...

A few people asked me why they get fps drops even after doing this guide, the fps drop after an hour of game play happens because of the GTMP client, they are working on fixing it I presume, they have been releasing a lot of updates lately. Until they release a fix, you have to restart your game every hour or so unfortunately.

Edited by Serpico
5 hours ago, Serpico said:

A few people asked me why they get fps drops even after doing this guide, the fps drop after an hour of game play happens because of the GTMP client, they are working on fixing it I presume, they have been releasing a lot of updates lately. Until they release a fix, you have to restart your game every hour or so unfortunately.

Hopefully Durty will get this fixed soon, I have to do this and it's so annoying :/

• Upvote 1