[Guide] RPing as a Russian/Russian Criminal

Funkersnap

Roleplaying as a Russian

Credits

• TheRuquzushka - Writing the customs section
  • Bully - Creating all the structre
  • Ethanol - Writing this guide

Introduction

• This guide will be covering basics on how you should RP as a Russian in America. I'll talk abit about how Russians act abroad, especially if they have lived there for a while, about what to avoid, what you should generally aim for and anything else I can think of.

The second post of this guide will revolve around Russian crime. It'll be done in about a week, I'm still consulting people who know more about different types of Russian crime. 

I'd like this guide to be as unstatic as possible, so I'l constantly be updated it based on things I pick up, learn from others or generally remember along the way.

A brief explenation about Russia as of the 90's

Boris Yeltsin was elected the President of Russia in June 1991, in the first direct presidential election in Russian history. During and after the Soviet disintegration, wide-ranging reforms including privatization and market and trade liberalization were undertaken,[78] including radical changes along the lines of "shock therapy" as recommended by the United States and International Monetary Fund.[79] All this resulted in a major economic crisis, characterized by 50% decline of both GDP and industrial output between 1990–95.

-Wikipedia

•  
    • As you can probably imagine, Russia suffered a fatal economical blow during the 90's. Living in Russia wasn't exactly perfect prior to the 90's either, but this was way too much. A large percentage of the population decided to leave Russia, immigrating to the United States. I believe there was also a wave of Russian Jews immigrating to the United States prior to the 'Communism' wave. Both waves left us with a decent amount of both Russian and US born Russians living in the united states in our modern times. This is just an extremely brief explenation on why Russians live in the US, including other reasons I won't be going into (Family, Green cards, etc, etc...)

Russian Roots

• Most people who say Russians should be completely Americanized and most likely leave their roots after living in the US for a while are wrong. I'm saying this for two main reasons: 

• 1. I'm a Russian who lives abroad, who discussed the matter with people both irl and in the community. All results came up the same, everyone keeps their traditions and tries to keep up with Russian customs at-least partly. 

2. I've talked to a group of my irl friends who live in the US (And are Russians, of-course), and they just laughed at the whole deal...

Now, I'm not saying everyone keeps their roots- no. It's simply not true. I can tell you that in my country I see a Russian who completely gave up on being one from time to time. Although, I see about 100~200 Russians who didn't for every person who did. 

When RPing someone who immigrated from Russia- especially in this server where I assume the average age of a Russian character is about 28~30, you have to understand that settling in America and suddenly putting on their clothes, taking their nicknames and blending in is not fucking simple. Most people end up grouping with Russians (Me, for instance) and from there on just sticking to their customs. 

You're an adult, picking up the language is hard, racisms is in the air, and you're so tired from constant work and life itself that picking up a new culture is just too hard. Not to mention you're used to Russia which you may or may not loved but had been doing daily. So going around fully Americanized is extremely hard. 

The only people I've seen who fully adapted to their country are ones who came there at a very early age- most of which eventually don't. 

If you decide to RP as an adult you need to keep all of those factors in mind. I haven't seen one adult in my country who became completely adapted to it. Not a single one. 

Living in Russia

• Since most Russian characters probably immigrated from Russia, I thought I should brief you on how things were back then. (Unless you're RPing as a teen, in which case I won't be going into detail- different eras).

Most Russian characters would have probably witnessed the fall of communism, and experienced life in the poor economical state Russia used to have. This meaning that you probably had to work in a shitty place you didn't like (Unless you turned to crime, which wasn't any good either, seeing as a lot of them turned out dead), come home to an empty house with an empty fridge and simply try to survive. 

A lot of Russians still maintain a basic- go to work, get back home, sleep and go back to work daily schedule. So before being extremely happy all the time and RP as the luckiest man alive, you should consider what you've been through.

Activities

• We're people like everyone else, so there's nothing special about what we do. But there are a few things I'd like to mention, at-least ones I've noticed Russians do more often than other people.

*We like to go out fishing and on barbecues quite often. I noticed other people do it more seldomly. For instance, most people I know irl go on barbecues all the time... hell, me and my friends do too. Fishing is also a great way for us to relax. You also get to bring the fish back home and cook it. Something I noticed most people don't do when fishing, which we personally love.

*We aren't freaking alcoholics. We do not drink 10 bottles of vodka every evening. We absolutely fucking don't. This is an awful stereotype which I'm trying to avoid. Sure, we have alcoholics, but every country has alcoholics... 

We might drink more than most people at parties and holidays, sure. But we do not get hospitalized daily due to drinking. Even if we wanted to, which we don't, there's simply no time or point to drink by yourself on a daily base. 

*We have a 1 on 1 mentality when it comes to fights. Sure, not all of us do, but I noticed that we'd prefer taking a problem head on by ourselves than bring a group of people to help us. Only when it's necessary or you're facing a group yourself. 
      For instance, I noticed people in my country do the exact oposite of what we Russians do. 

*We group up. You're in a foreign country and you don't know the language... who do you turn to? Russians. You'll most likely end up pairing with Russians due to common interests, language and hobbies. It's very simple, really.

Correctly naming your character

• Correctly naming a character is pretty simple, yet, I ocassionally see people walking around with illogical names. 

I'll be covering common mistakes, since the creation of a Russian name most likely doesn't interest anyone in this community.

• 1. Males with Lastnames ending in "a". 

Examples: Anton_Komarova, Sergei_Belova, Andrei_Fidotova.

Male lastnames never end with an "a". The "a" is reserved for female lastnames, meaning that female lastnames will have to end with "a". For example: Alina_Vysokovskaya, Natasha_Pcholkina, Dasha_Arsenyeva. Avoid putting the "a" in Russian lastnames if you're a male and remember to do so if you're a female.

• 2. Two firstnames instead of a firstname_lastname. 

Examples: Anton_Sergei, Sergei_Boris, Kazimir_Dimitry. 

It's simple, choose a decent lastname instead of two firstnames. It doesn't work that way in Russian, so please just avoid doing that. This goes for female names too.

Good examples of lastnames can be found anywhere on the internet.

RPing around Communism

• RPing around communism as a Russian is a very sensetive topic which most people fail to understand. Practically no body likes communism for very obvious reasons: It ruined the country, millions, literally millions of people died for no particular reason and living a shitty life wasn't fun. 

The things which happened during Communism are unspeakable, so obviously most of us hate it. Especially the older generation which most people are RPing on the server. 

So, avoid using communist symbols- the most common one being the "Hammer and sickle". And generally avoid being a red-army boris or whatever most people usually RP. Unless you're some 80 year old fanatic who still loves communism, just avoid the whole subject.

Russian customs

• Joking about your parents. Not as common as most people think nowadays, but Russian culture knows better. 
    • Russians can be politically incorrect. Some of us tell jokes based on race, appearance, religion, etc... quite often. It's not uncommon to see people joking about any of those things, regardless to the situation. Even the Russians in my country do that. 
    • Superstitions- Most Russians usually follow few, whether it's knocking on wood to make sure nothing happens, sitting in your house with everyone for a minute before going on trips/away (Extremely common, happens almost everywhere around here. Everyone sits in the living room silently for a minute, and then the person departs), considering breaking a glass is good luck and so... Even if most of them don't believe in it, most of those things eventually blend into your life and you do it automatically. Even I do, and I can tell you I don't believe in any of that.

Things to avoid

• Drinking vodka 24/7. Please don't do this, it used to be cheap when we had less money, now everyone can afford decent whiskey or what not. For instance, my family usually drinks Chivas. Leave the fucking cheap vodka to someone else. 
    • The word "Comrade". Just don't use it, for the love of god. It's a word used in early Communism to adress people. It's dead, no one uses the word "Comrade" anymore, ESPECIALLY not in English. I haven't heard a single fucking Russian ever saying "Comrade" in English. So unless you're 80 years old and adressing some former official who's also 80, don't use it. Ever. EVER. 
    • Watching the movie Eatern Promises! No. It's so insanely incorrect, both in its knolwedge of Russian people and its knolwedge of Russian crime that I couldn't finish it. It's fucking ridiculous. Wikipedia has a better idea of being Russian than that movie. Avoid it at all cost when considering parts of it for RP. 
    • Insulting America 24/7. Sure, Nato isn't our favorite subject, but we aren't stupid enough to randomly insult Americans in their own country. I mean, why? Sure, you may laugh at it from time to time around friends, but there's no reason walking around hating it 24/7. I'm pretty sure it works vice-versa as well. 
    • Wearing berets. I dunno why people got the impression that wearing berets is a part of our culture? It's simply not. You recieve a beret in the military for being in certain divisions and that's that. The beret is a part of your parade uniform and wearing it without the uniform is just odd... the only time I heard of someone wearing a beret outside of the military was some drunk former solider who put on his complete uniform and started walking around his city. So please, avoid wearing it unless... you actually RP as a soldier in full unfirom, or just find it in your house and put it on as a joke/due to nostalgia. In either case you shouldn't go out of your house with it. 
    • Assuming every Russian cop is corrupt. They aren't. Also, we're in America. The chances of a corrupt Russian cop are extremely low. So don't come up to a cop and expect anything, for the love of god.
    • Assuming every Russian is involved in illegal activities. They aren't, it's simple. Some are, some aren't. It works that way everywhere.

Commonly used words

Privyet Hello
Zdarova Slangish version of hello
Kak dela? What's up?
Normalno Both "normal" and "fine", depending on the sentance
Horosho Okay, fine, alright
Vso everything. Commonly used in combination with horosho/normalno to create a Russian version of "Everything's fine"
Klass Nice, neat, cool
Brat/Bratan Brother/bro
Sechas Now
Shas Short version of "Sechas". Also a slang version of "Yeah right"
Davai Come on. Commonly used as "goodbye" as well.
Da yes
Nyet No
Chto What
Gde Where?
Kak How?
Kogda When?
Bratva In legal terms, you might describe a close group of friends as a bratva. The illegal term will be covered in the criminal guide.
Ti you
Ya me
Oni Them
Zdes Here
Tam there
Idi (idi), Pashol Go
Pagnali Slang version for "Let's go".
Pacan I'd like to describe it as "dude", but you don't exactly spit it out as much as you would with the word "dude". It's similar.
Pacani Dudes
Ribyata guys

*For any Russian swears, you can use google.

Roleplaying as a Criminal

Introduction

• This guide will cover three main types of criminals in Russia: 

• 1. Modern day criminals without ties to Thieves in law. 

2. Thieves in law. 

3. Gopniks. Why am I including this? Because people should know the difference between 3 and 1,2.

Each type of criminal organization has its own set of rules, hierarchy, ways of getting things done, etc. 

The third type of criminals... If that's how you want to call them, has none. But people fail to understand the difference, which I hope will change after this guide. 

NOTE: Most of the crap on the internet is either inaccurate as hell, bullshit or just... well, I can't even describe it. Avoid reading things from the internet, especially wikipedia. 

!!! Never, and I mean never take Eastern promises as an example of Russian mafia RP. It's so insanely inacurate, so insanely wrong it's just pathetic. Little to NONE of the things shown there are correct. Even Wikipedia has a much much much better idea of how crime works in Russia, even though wikipedia is 95 percent incorrect on the subject- so consider that before watching that awful movie.

A list of movies I advice you to see:________________________________________________
    • Brigada 1 - (Shows a group of non-Vori criminals. Also shows there relation with Vori at some point)

• Antikiller 1- (Shows a conflict between Vori and non-Vori. Very productive for the most part, in my opinion)
    • Parni iz Stali (Shows a group of non Vori associated with Vori, and an on-going conflict between different groups)
    • Zeleniy Slonik - Russian Shedever
    • Brat 1 (Shows a conflict between a criminal group and their former contract killer. The second one doesn't focus on that, but it's still a good movie, so watch Brat 2 if you want to- I found it extremely good)
    • Chuzhaya (A film that shows an organization sending a small crew to do a certain mission. Shows the relationship between the members, how they deal with certain problems, etc)
    • Reketir (Doesn't show how Russians operate, but it does show a criminal group after the fall of USSR. It's decent if you want to get a general idea of how things work. But the traditions and w/e they show aren't Russian at all)
    • Bumer (Bumer is NOT about a criminal organization. I've seen 1321 people RPing their organization based on this film. Well, don't. It's just not about an organization, it's about 4 friends doing illegal activities to survive. It'll give you a good idea about living in the 90's, not how to RP as criminals).
    • Banditskiy peterburg- (Watch it if you really want to. It's a neat show about criminal life in Russia, but it's long... So if you have enough free time, check it out- it has a few seasons, I believe).
    • Zhmurki (A comedy, of sort, about Russian crime in the 90's. If you get why it's funny for the most part, you're more than ready).

Thieves in Law

• Prologue____________________________________________________________________________
    • Thieves in law started after the revolution of 1917 by groups of bandits who were basically trying to survive. These groups were shortly put in labor camps where the magic happened. 

Due to hard conditions in labor camps, the ring leaders controlling the crime in the camps decided that they don't want to live by laws which force them to work, take crap from the guards and so. 
      They decided to create a code which will benefit them, and them only. A code that gives a person freedom over his life. 

Seeing as these ring leaders refused to work, due to their code- many people started following it. Eventually turning it into a "thing" among Russian labor camps and prisons. I'll go into detail about modern day vori as we pass through this guide. 

Thieves' code_______________________________________________________________________
    • Since the code is old and... long, to say the least, I'll sum it up: 

*Never bow down before anyone. 

THIS is the main point of being a Vor. When becoming a Vor, you're your own boss. No one can tell you what to do, no one can say shit to you. And if they do, you tell them to fuck off. You're a respectful member of criminal society, you have to show you're superior to the other prisoners who're working their asses off. This also has to do a lot with pride, hating athourity and so... 

*Vors aren't allowed to have a family- Outdated!!! 

Originally, Vori were supposed to cut ties with their families, avoid getting married, having children, etc. 

Nowadays? Nowadays they have wives, they talk to their families and it's all good. Most if not all of them have wives, if I recall correctly. 

*Don't co-operate with athourity.

Simple. You don't co-operate with athourity. This doesn't mean you can't talk to them, or squeeze out a deal that will benefit you... at-least not nowadays, but it does mean that helping them is a no-no. 

*Keeping your word.

Betraying someone or screwing up something you were supposed to do is an extremely serious offence. Some people actually rather kill themselves than be humiliated and killed by people for it. 

*Other rules may include...

No snitching, helping your people out, etc... Just logical things you'd do in a criminal organization. 

Hierarchy____________________________________________________________________________

• The Hierarchy was made to fit prisons, where vors served their sentances. But it also applies on the outside. To differ from a boss in prison and a boss outside, for example, different names were given. Same ranks might have different names, or some ranks might be similiar to each other for obvious reasons.

Some ranks require you to be a Thief in Law. Most people following the Thieves' law aren't Thieves in law, just aiming to be ones.

Prison Ranks: 
      • -Pakhan- Pakhan is the person who supervises things in prison. I heard that huge prisons have various Pakhans, working on their own in cellblocks. Each Pakhan is only loyal to himself, or the group of Vori he's associated with. A Pakhan HAS to be a Vor. 

-Smotryashiy- Supervisers helping the Pakhan keep order in several areas of the prison. It's pretty simple, if a cellblock consists of 4 main areas- The Pakhan would probably have 2 Smotrayashiyi supervising over them. You may compare this rank to "Captain" in some criminal organizations. 

-Boyevik - A name for a soldier in these organizations. The main difference between a soldier and an associate is respect. Being a soldier isn't usually as glorious as being an insider in a mafia. It just means you aren't treated like shit. You usually mostly do associates work, with some extra tricky tasks which you're trusted with. 

-Shestyorka - An associate. An associate has to do everything he is asked to. Shesyorka means you basically belong to the organization. It's not as harsh as say... Being associated to the Yakuza, but you do get to clean for everyone, do the dirty work, etc...

Regular Ranks:
      • -Vor - I wouldn't call a boss an avtorityet in this type of crime for two main reasons: 

• They address some of the lower ranks with respect as avtorityeti. 
        • Avtorityet shouldn't name someone's position at all. It just means you're a person with respect. 

Vori control everything in this type of crime. He's your boss, he calls the shots. Simple. 

-Brigadier - Your regular Captain. Controls over an area, also assists the boss. According to Wikipedia there are also two types of co-leaders? Well, I haven't heard of anything like that, ever. 
        Not after researching the whole thing. The most trusted Brigadier can act as the co-leader, if what. 

Each Brigadier controls his people however he likes. Crews don't have to be similiar, have similiar ways of operation or even be similiar in ranks. If a Brigadier decides he needs another person between him and the Boyeviki- he adds one. If not, he doesn't. A lot depends on his judgement, really. 

-Starshina- A rank which is rarely added between the Brigadier and the Boyeviki. If a Brigadier has a lot of people, especially if they operate in several areas, he puts two of these around to supervise the field. Mostly to avoid him being constantly on the field.

-Boyevik- Your basic soldier. Does what he has to. Exactly like the prison rank.

-Shestyorka- The associate. Although he doesn't have to make your bed and clear your cell, he still has to bring you a drink and do everything you say. Just like the prison rank. 

Operating____________________________________________________________________________

• Thieves operate in a very interesting way. They're involved in everything and really do anything that gets them profit. They aren't limited to anything and don't have daily routes. You control an area, you take profit from it in any way possible. 

Anything below Brigadier is disposable in these organizations. What this means is that they're sent to do all the dirty work. If an Italian mobster holding the rank of insider is respectable, being a Boyevik isn't. If you need to send 4 people to a shootout, knowing some of them will die- you still send the Boyeviki. 

Another thing you should know is how they deal with certain things.
      For example, two groups want to discuss something. If it's on a friendly level, they talk in an office, have diner, go take a bath and bla bla.

If it isn't on a friendly level, they set up a Strelka. A Strelka is a meeting between two armed groups. Meaning that you're basically 20-40 armed guys standing infront of 20-40 other armed guys while your leaders/supervisors talk to each other. If everything geos will, you depart. If not, you shoot each other. 

Another form of dishonour is forcing peolpe who aren't shystorki to do things a shystorka would do. A shystorka is like a slave. If you're above that status, doing things a shystorka would do is extremely inappropriate.

Disrespecting an actual Vor can lead to death. Your respect is your image. If you can't handle your problems, you're nothing. 

It isn't uncommon to see peolpe from leadership of these types of organizations sorting out problems- personally. If someone specifically insulted you, you're the one handling it. You don't send Tony and the guys to whack him- you go there with your guys, and settle it yourself. 

Relations with other organizations_____________________________________________________

• Vori are most likely to associate themselves with other Vori, from other areas. Although this isn't always the case. Ocassionally, Vori will associate themselves with modern groups. This is mostly done because modern groups gain a lot of power, and, well, there's no way around it. Associating yourself with anyone who isn't Russian should generally be a second priority- since most, if not all people who aren't Russian operate in a very different way. 

Modern groups without ties to Vori

• Prologue____________________________________________________________________________

• These groups started popping up around the 90's. There was little to none work, and the economical crisis was hard on everyone. People started working around all sorts of illegal activities- serious ones, even if they haven't been to prisons. Generally speaking, doing pety crime or associating yourself with a Vor took much more time than starting things on your own- which at the point didn't require you to be a Vor.

And dues, a lot of criminal groups with different structures started popping up all over the country. 
    • Rules____________________________________________________________________________
    •  
      • These types of organizations usually don't want to associate themselves with vori simply because they know vori don't see them too highly. Even if they earn more or have more men, it doesn't matter to a vor. 

The only reason to associate yourselves with peolpe like these is if they're the only Russians in your area, and there's no way around it, or you simply need something only they can provide. Sometimes, if you have something they need and they offer some sort of irregular service or enough money, that might work as well.

• It all depends on the leader. There's no code or some rules made 100 years ago. Everyone is loyal to the person who has the most respect. Everyone knows he runs things, he enforces whatever he wants to, and everyone who doesn't want to get killed follows it.

It's really up to the person. In some cases, the leader gives this responsibility to the members who run crews for him. For example, one crew might be selling drugs while another crew's leader says he forbids any form of drugs in his crew. 

At the end of the day, the leader's goal is to make money, and hopefully not get shot. This requires the crews to earn in any way possible (Unless the leader points something out which he thinks is profitable, which the crew leaders have to complete), and the crews to have members who'll take a bullet for the leader. And that's that. 

Hierarchy____________________________________________________________________________

• These organizations usually have very simple structures. The structure depends on one person- the leader. But it's usually down to one of two things: 

A faction running on respect: 
      • This sort of faction usually has no ranks. You aren't defined, yet, everyone knows exactly who you are. It's all based on respect. 
        • The leader- He runs things, everyone listens to him, he has the most respect.

• The crew leaders- Basically insiders with higher respect. Can appointed insiders to be their replacements if they really want to. They run the operations, they have people, they control certain areas. 

• The insiders- everyone who was officially recognized by the leader as a member of the organization. 
          They have low or semi-high respect in the eyes of the leader but are generally not only part of the organization, but highly respect by anyone who isn't in an official part of it. 

These types of insiders can and usually have groups of associates working for them. Why? High regard due to their respect, at-least in the eyes of those associates. 
        • Everyone else- Everyone else, having low or little to none respect, or decently respect but have not been recognized by the leader are nothing. They're henchmen, who do whatever you tell them to. A crew leader's goal would be protecting them simply because he doesn't want his reputation ruined. If they die, they die. If they make it through, why not. They just aren't held in high regard by anyone apart from themselves.

A faction with a hierarchy: 
      • Some copy the vor's hiearchy, but do not depend on being a vor to advance- simply respect in the eyes of the leader, others usually follow an extremely basic format: 
        • Avtorityet- I hate to call it that way, but there's really no name for it. They might reffer to themselves as Pakhan, but that's generally a prison term for a /vor/ who runs things. 
          Your leader, he calls the shots, and controls everything. Usually doesn't interact with associates, and if he does, they're treated like shit. 

• Brigadier- Your crew leader. Controls a crew, either running his own area or his own set of illegal activities... Usually both. Similiar to the respect based ranks, he can decide what his crew can or cannot do- as long as he pays the leader and has enough men to cover his ass. 
        • Boyevik- Your casual soldier. An insider, sure... but does all the work. Boyeviki in these types of structers usually do NOT have crews of associates.
        • Everyone else- your basic outsider- good luck getting to boyevik.

Operating____________________________________________________________________________

• It's quite simple. The goal is to pay the highest kickup, or show the most results to impress your insiders, your crew leaders or your leader- depending on where you stand. You don't have to spam people with money, you just need to show you're good at what we do.

Different crews usually hang around each other, but when it comes to small-medium illegal matters, they operate alone. If something major happens, everyone obviously groups up. And if one crew needs something from another crew, they simply ask. There are usually friendly relations between the crews, so everything runs smoothly. Of-course, I assume each crew will try to outrun the other one in the eyes of the leader. But that's not always the case. 

When it comes to illegal activities- it's an open market. You do whatever you want, as long as your crew leader or the leader doesn't restrict that specific thing. In some cases, everything is open- you can do anything to get money, as long as you keep your respect intact. This can include selling organs, creating drugs, burning businesses for other people, selling women to people for w/e purpose, etc...

There's really no limit, as long as the time it takes is worth the money and you don't seem like a fool after doing it. 

Relations with other organizations_____________________________________________________

Gopniks

•  

• Gopniks can be compared to chavs in England. They're thugs, basically. In Russia, they're low level thugs who drink all day and steal cellphones. They don't do organized crime, and even if they try, I assume it'll fail. 

Think of it this way, they're a group of young men drinking their asses off and looking for a fight. What financial potential can that have? Unless someone hires them to beat someone up or w/e. 

Rules____________________________________________________________________________

• None. You're thugs, you do what you want. You don't have a leader, you don't have rules, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing everything. Just don't be surprised if you get shot when you go over the top. 

• I assume the strongest person in the group, the sneakiest or the most respected one will act as some sort of unofficial leader. The rest are a part of your group. 

There's no hierarchy, but when you're in a group, someone has to take charge. 

• This, is why I made the gopnik section in the first place.

A lot of people think gopniki are associates of Russian criminal organizations. They AREN'T. Why on earth would you have someone like that work for your organization? They can snitch whenever they want to, they won't listen to you if they feel like it and they're generall just not as good as what some of the other people offer. 

Gopniki usually have nothing to do with organized crime, yet, a lot of the Russian mafias RP as gopniks. Why? I don't know. But I hope this cleared it out. 

While a gopnik would be seen in a tracksuit, doing w/e businesses he has, someone from the Russian mafia will most likely come to you in decent clothing. Sure, you don't wear expensive clothing to a fight, but criminal organizations don't meet fellow organizations in tracksuits. You dress nicely- it shows you have some sort of social status. 

• They're street trash. They can be hired for small things, but that's where it ends.
Edited by Funkersnap
  • Upvote 4