Let's talk about something

SolenopsisΔ

2 hours ago, CHRISTIΔN said:

The problem is not unique ideas. There's a reason why quirky factions suffer from short lifespans and don't manage to catch any attention. In their core, they are boring, no one wants to role play these things; they think they do, but they don't. What people really should do is start investigating how to accurately portray their current factions.

We keep seeing the same old non-realistic approach to street gangs, police department and pretty much everything that's going on the server. If people put some actual effort into studying how things work in real life, they'd find enough inspiration to actually portray something believable. From there on, you would naturally stumble upon these "unique ideas". A gang member doesn't just stand around on a corner his whole life, there are actual conflicts between characters, his environment and everything else going on in their life, and they are going to find unique and interesting ways to solve those problems. That's what character development is, being confronted by an issue, battling it with the character's weaknesses and overcoming it with their strengths.

You are supposed to be able to create role play out of the most mundane situations by acting them out accurately. When people start putting more thought into their actions, we'll start seeing better quality role play.

I do see your point and I understand it. And I agree with some of it. However I don't think you understood what I meant with my original post, either that or I didn't understand what you meant in here.

Yes, of course accurately portraying a faction or character culture is very important, especially in a server similar to ours. Lately I've seen factions and characters that are just stereotypical in their ways of how they portray that certain characters or players that are just extremely over the top (for example some shitty mallrat lesbian who works for a security company and shoots and loves guns all day. That's quirky alright, but trust me it's not unique). Keep in mind this I'm not talking about GtaW in particular, other communities have had this problem, it's something that happens generally with every RP community.

Personally I enjoy seeing something different rather than just the same basic template all over again. Maybe I'm the picky cunt, who knows.

Oh and this:

2 hours ago, CHRISTIΔN said:

If you are bored with role play, that's your problem. If you wish to see these "unique ideas", then start coming up with them and seeing them through yourself.

As many people and I mentioned before, the server population currently has a problem with giving these "unique ideas" any attention. But by these "unique ideas" I don't only mean something that's completely new even to the whole damn world, but something that hasn't been roleplayed before, at least on this server. 

This went a little off topic but hey, it happens.

In short, your issue is that the 'unique' ideas you've described aren't attractive. 'Social' RP can only go so far and every single unique concept i've seen (other than @Law's coroner play - WELL DONE LAD) is just that, a social concept such as a 'unique' club or 'unique' venue for people to gather in and socialize. 

Social RP gets boring quickly when it isn't backed by script. Not to hark on the Coroner concept, but that right there is what we need more of. Unique concepts that allow players to engage in meaningful ways.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, SolenopsisΔ said:

I do see your point and I understand it. And I agree with some of it. However I don't think you understood what I meant with my original post, either that or I didn't understand what you meant in here.

Yes, of course accurately portraying a faction or character culture is very important, especially in a server similar to ours. Lately I've seen factions and characters that are just stereotypical in their ways of how they portray that certain characters or players that are just extremely over the top (for example some shitty mallrat lesbian who works for a security company and shoots and loves guns all day. That's quirky alright, but trust me it's not unique). Keep in mind this I'm not talking about GtaW in particular, other communities have had this problem, it's something that happens generally with every RP community.

Personally I enjoy seeing something different rather than just the same basic template all over again. Maybe I'm the picky cunt, who knows.

Oh and this:

As many people and I mentioned before, the server population currently has a problem with giving these "unique ideas" any attention. But by these "unique ideas" I don't only mean something that's completely new even to the whole damn world, but something that hasn't been roleplayed before, at least on this server. 

If you really want to make something unique then you're going to need a group of friends that will commit to the project and bring original role play to the table. That's the only way you're going to be able to keep it alive and fresh. You can't expect other people to go out of their way to join concepts they don't find interesting. Tough shit, but that's it.

A post on the forums isn't going to change how people feel, the only hope you have is to use this thread to salvage like minded individuals in order to get this thing started.

You can have the best idea in the world but it won't mean jack until you truly flesh it out, and that's what I meant with "accurately portraying your ideas and characters."

Edited by CHRISTIΔN
  • Upvote 2

You've got a point. Some shitty thread isn't gonna change anything.

To those that agreed with what bullshit I had to say: try and make a change. Don't let your community get overrun by idiots who have no idea what a normal looking character is.

To the others: Have fun with your nightclubs, bars and stripclubs opening every single day and doing the same stuff over and over again.

This can be L&A'd.

• Upvote 1