Lower paycheck rate

noel

This is my POV as a player who hasn't had too much experience on GTAW, but has spent far too long playing LSRP. 

Short description:

Put the paychecks down from $5k/hr to about $1k/hr, this way people have to work to get money, thus increasing the number of people doing RP jobs, number of people doing script jobs, number of people selling drugs in small amounts etc. At the moment, money is never an issue because you have immediate access to an income which is better than doing an RP job, script job or selling drugs etc.

Detailed description:

I think one of the reasons the economy is a little bit messed up is because the paycheck rate is way too high. 

Given that, from what I've seen so far, weapons and drug prices seem to be the same near enough to LSRP, then this means that every 2 hours (2 paychecks) you can afford an ounce of cocaine, which we have been purchasing for $10k. Weapons seem to be around $15-20k also, which again means that by doing nothing but playing the game you can afford this amount of money within a couple of hours.

If you compare this process to LSRP, firstly it would take you a lot longer than a couple of hours to actually receive this kind of money, especially as a new player. Your options are pretty much to start selling drugs, work an RP job or do a scripted job. Regardless of which path you take, it's going to take a fair amount of time to build up some cash.

Secondly, it is very difficult to find a plug or strawman to distribute to you. That is way, way easier on this server because there are too many people with this privilege.

Thirdly, and most importantly, you actually have to work to get money to be able to afford guns, drugs and so on, you aren't just gifted it on a plate every hour, even with savings, because you cannot access them (and most people don't until it reaches the 20m limit) for a long time.

What ways can you make money in LSRP? Well, you can do a variety of script jobs as well as RP jobs (which pay better). If we're speaking about script jobs, particularly fishing, then you would have to spend an hour to make $15k mindlessly fishing. Script jobs are intentionally mundane, which means that they encourage people to do RP jobs which are a lot better for the server. Barely anyone spends their whole time doing a script job on LSRP, but the option is there for new players.

Commands to add:

N/a

Items to add:
N/a

How would your suggestion improve the server?

Imagine if the hourly paycheck went down to $1000. Firstly, drugs and weapons would feel more difficult to come by and you would actually have to work to get them. This would mean people spend more time selling drugs (and it actually becomes worthwhile), more time working in RP businesses, and more time generally doing things to make themselves money. Right now, there is no need to make money because the server hands you it on a plate, and drug and weapons prices aren't tailored to match this constant stream of money.

Additional information:
N/a

Edited by noel

The 5k only lasts for the first 40 or so hours, designed to give a head start to new characters so they can be established. After that it drops to $250 afaik, or if you have a script job like mechanic or metallurgy it goes down to $800.

Edited by Conway
Engrish
19 minutes ago, Conway said:

The 5k only lasts for the first 40 or so hours, designed to give a head start to new characters so they can be established. After that it drops to $250 afaik, or if you have a script job like mechanic or metallurgy it goes down to $800.

Thanks for the heads up but 'only the first 40 or so hours' is still way too long. That means everybody still starts with $200k+ which is a lot of money when compared to the prices of most things, and probably still contributes to the fact there is no drug market and that illegal assets are so easy to come by.

If people were on the streets selling drugs/doing RP jobs/script jobs for the first 40 hours of the server, rather than being able to immediately go in and buy guns etc then the server would probably feel a lot busier, and it would probably keep people's interest for a little longer.

People like to grind a bit, it seems.

Edited by noel
10 minutes ago, noel said:

Thanks for the heads up but 'only the first 40 or so hours' is still way too long. That means everybody still starts with $200k+ which is a lot of money when compared to the prices of most things, and probably still contributes to the fact there is no drug market and that illegal assets are so easy to come by.

If people were on the streets selling drugs/doing RP jobs/script jobs for the first 40 hours of the server, rather than being able to immediately go in and buy guns etc then the server would probably feel a lot busier, and it would probably keep people's interest for a little longer.

People like to grind a bit, it seems.

200k starting money is a way to simulate your characters "past" so to call, as he didn't just magically pop up out of nowhere. But I get your concern, I personally would like the 800$ paychecks that everyone gets when just joining one of the scripted jobs to be gone. Along with reduced fish and ore prices. But I am pretty sure they are going to do the latter at some point anyways and they promised to take out(Or re haul it) the entire mining thing anyways.

Just now, PandaGaming said:

I actually like the current status of the paychecks. Not supporting... 

I prefer to focus on my roleplay instead of grinding cash all the time.

Hold up, you don't like the RPG jobs because they are not RP'ed correctly but at the same time you'd like to get free money so you don't have to do any job at all? You should try acquiring funds through RP maybe if you REALLY want to focus on RP'ing. Not having free money flow will give more motivation to do that.

Yeah personally I think the way paychecks work at the moment along with wealth tax is fine. If you're roleplaying a poor character you can always just portray that. Nothing says that the money you have is what you have to spend. Or else find ways to burn it (drugs, a house, bulk buying tacos from the 24/7 etc)

It doesn't really work though, does it? 

I've been playing for less than 15 hours and I already have a car, shotguns and 4 ounces of cocaine.

There's 'simulating a character's history' and then there's just ruining the economy. I've already seen multiple threads of people saying that the economy is broken, well the answer is right in front of your eyes. You shouldn't be able to buy all of this stuff within your first few hours of playing. People WANT to be able to work towards something.

LSRP's system works a lot better than this server's IMO when it comes to economy. There are few drug distributors and few strawmen, and you need to WORK to achieve what you want to achieve. Call it RPG-like, whatever you want, but its probably one of the main reasons the server is still so popular.

I think the $200K is a great feature that gives players a tool to create a character with a history.

I used my paychecks to buy a used car and a modest apartment because that seemed like the RP thing to do. I have about $50K in the bank which I treat like my savings. I never felt rich when I was receiving the huge paychecks. In fact I found it quite slow and would've preferred to have had the cash all at once so I could set up my character straight away rather than RP living somewhere when I didn't own/rent a place. I never liked the fact that I owned a car but didn't own an apartment.

As a legal character I never spent cash on drugs or guns and, without wanting to be rude, I think it's the shortsightedness of players to see the paychecks as a crock of gold.

6 minutes ago, noel said:

It doesn't really work though, does it? 

I've been playing for less than 15 hours and I already have a car, shotguns and 4 ounces of cocaine.

There's 'simulating a character's history' and then there's just ruining the economy. I've already seen multiple threads of people saying that the economy is broken, well the answer is right in front of your eyes. You shouldn't be able to buy all of this stuff within your first few hours of playing. People WANT to be able to work towards something.

LSRP's system works a lot better than this server's IMO when it comes to economy. There are few drug distributors and few strawmen, and you need to WORK to achieve what you want to achieve. Call it RPG-like, whatever you want, but its probably one of the main reasons the server is still so popular.

I agree with your main point but I think having the initial funds ain't such a problem and gaining the initial items as the fact that it would be easy to do it again and again after you loose them or decide to get new ones.

LSRP system was even more broken I think. Because of the mechanic paychecks that EVERYBODY was having plus the bank investments. Plus the attitude towards the whole thing. I RP'ed a poor redneck with a OOC'ly having 40 mil in the bank, and then got /b comments like "You are level 40, why are you driving a Rancher? LOL". I personally didn't use the money but the fact that so many people had such large sums drove the economy off the cliff.