Owner's key for placed safe.

Short description: My suggestion would be that the owner of a placed safe, should be given a special key which can unlock the safe.

Detailed description: Me personally is having some pretty big issues opening my safe, I haven't even been able to open it yet. However I'd like to suggest that the owner of the safe could be given a special key, which can be used to unlock the purchased safe. Now this wouldn't just simplify things for the owner, it could also bring another possible aspect as to which the key possibly can be stolen, and thus the key could be an item in the /inv. There's also the possibility to add the key as a non-/inv item.

Commands to add: /safeunlock /safelock

Items to add: A key.

How would your suggestion improve the server? This would make things much easier for us safe owners.

Additional information:

Safes, actual safes, don't have key locks to them. Because then you've actually defeated all the controls in place by the safe, but just having a simple key that could unlock it. Or better yet, could be picked. Why would I, the criminal waste my time trying to figure out the combination when I could defeat a tumbler lock in probably a third of the time?

I realize this is for convenience. But it's not even remotely realistic. In my opinion, if you want to stash things in a safe, go through the process of putting it in the safe and don't ask for an instastash with max security.

9 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Safes, actual safes, don't have key locks to them. Because then you've actually defeated all the controls in place by the safe, but just having a simple key that could unlock it. Or better yet, could be picked. Why would I, the criminal waste my time trying to figure out the combination when I could defeat a tumbler lock in probably a third of the time?

I realize this is for convenience. But it's not even remotely realistic. In my opinion, if you want to stash things in a safe, go through the process of putting it in the safe and don't ask for an instastash with max security.

He said it all.

Locks with keys would make the safe just a locker cabinet that can be picked very easily(by a learned thief that is).

50 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Sentry-SFW123DTB-fire-and-waterproof-safe-1.jpg

You claim actual safe's do not have the possibility of keys, but yet I had no trouble finding many examples. With regular key holes and other variants such as tubular ones.

Edited by #Emil

I see you're an expert in safes. Fine.

Here is what I'm going to say and then I'm done. That safe you mentioned, again is not really meant for maximum security. It's meant to protect from fire damages, thus the insulation on the inside of the safe. That's the kind of lockbox that people just steal the whole thing. The safes present on the server are actual safes the heavy kind. The kind that if you want to break, you need to know the combination whether keypad or dial or drill it.

Are there low-end safes that give people the peace of mind of having a safe they can easily get into? Yes. But that means they're easy to get into by other people. So if we're not entertaining that if you have that kind of safe, you can just pick the lock to it the same way you break into a vehicle or a house, then there is no need to further the conversation. And I don't mean just stealing a key from someone. If you must have a key to your safe, there must be reactions for it. Like I should be able to steal it and take it back to my place and then open it. The higher end safes, no keys. Can't steal. Must know combo.

My dad has a safe in garage although it's an old Russian safe (similar to what Saint showed in the google img) only a key - though if you don't have a key it's pretty hard to open it.

BTW - If you are talking about maximum security safes - the only one I could actually recall is the one that is in a bank. You know the big round doors with a huge lock on it and some modern technologies on it. 

Safe can be small, big with keyholes and without. But for safe to be safe it has to be locked in order no-one can access it without code/key or whatever. It can be also portable not necessarily a big one.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...