Henry D'Amico

Puck

HENRY D'AMICO

A story told by an old friend of the D'Amico's.

Where do I even start? Suppose I'll take ya' back to the beginning... So Henry was born in the 4th generation of D'Amico family under Giovanni and Marie. They were a stereo typical Catholic Italian-American family trying to live in the big city. Marie always yelling at Henry and Giovanni always yelling at Marie. The screaming was inevitable, even if they were having a good time. It's just who they were. His father ran a small meat shop and was always the talk of the block. "Did you taste Gio's new rib eye?" Gio's is my go to spot for all my meat products!" Gio this, and Gio that. Henry didn't really enjoy his father's meats much... he practically ate at his father's shop everyday with his mother. The shop was a mysterious place in the eyes of a six year old boy. "Why do those two men come in and take papa's suitcase every week?" he would always ask me. I never told him anything but as he got older I think he caught on pretty fast. Smart kid he was. Book smart, but not so much street. That came to him a little later. Hell, he never studied but still got top of the line grades. I don't know how he did it but man, he made it look easy . The kids he hung around in school weren't as smart. You know, when you're younger being smart wasn't as cool as being athletic.. So some of his friends would poke fun of him for it. He claimed it never bothered him, but deep down, I know he didn't like it. Every time I asked him if he wanted a boxing lesson just in case someone ever pissed him off, he wouldn’t give in. "It's no big deal, they're just joking..." he would say, knowing, I was referring to the jokes his friends would make. Till this day, I never understood why he hung around those kids. He was always just that quiet-- well, somewhat quiet if you knew him like I did, curious, smart boy who was just trying to fit in. I didn't really see much change until his teenage years... which really took a turn.

Anyone who knew Henry personally, knew that once puberty hit him, he started to build up anger. Yeah, sure, all teenagers have an attitude but something was different with him. It was almost like he was seeking revenge. The kids he grew up with playing baseball in the backyard, who used to joke about him getting good grades were no longer his friends. But I'll address that a little later. The little kid I knew that would solve a Rubik's cube in five minutes and show it off to anyone he could was gone. I mean that in a sense that his character totally changed. His Intelligence was all still there but he didn't enjoy showcasing it like before. It was during his mid-high school years that I started to notice the change. I was in the living room reading the paper when his mother received a call about him getting into a fight in school. Apparently, the kid he fought was bleeding severely, lost a tooth and had a possible concussion. The altercation was all over the kid calling Henry out on being smart and a nice guy. According to his friends the kid didn't even finish his sentence before getting a taste of Henry's fist and his head getting slammed into a locker. That was the first time I've ever heard of him getting in a fight, not only that but even swinging his fist. When he came home that night he acted like nothing had happened. His mother asked "Is there anything you would like to tell us?" Henry shook his head. " I got an B+ on my biology project but other than that not really" Now, keep in mind that his mother was absolutely enraged. His father on the other hand, was a completely different story, almost the exact opposite. In fact, he was so proud of it that he couldn’t stop smiling when Henry walked through that door. Marie though, exploded, going on about how she received a phone call and how Henry almost put a kid in the hospital. His dad, just nodded to Marie showing that he agreed with her, but I know he was immensely proud and just wanted to satisfy his wife. Ever since that fight he didn't take shit from anyone. He wasn't that quiet, curious boy trying to fit in... He made himself fit in. Still got good grades and passed high school but no one messed with him. Not after the damage he did. Okay, so, I mentioned before that it was almost like he was seeking revenge. I say that because of what happened to his old childhood friends. They all still hung out together. Every one of em'. All except for Henry. One day, I picked up to the paper with the headline "Three boys gone missing" and when I looked closer, I noticed it was Henry's old friends. I never asked him about it because I knew how he felt about them. But I was curious, you know? So, that same day I consulted with his dad about the boys. I asked him if he mentioned anything to Henry. He said he didn't but his wife did. Henry's response was, according to his father, "I saw the report on the TV. Glad I'll never see em' again. Tragic, sure, but those guys ain't nothing to me anymore." Funny thing about that is, I saw Henry with those kids the day before that article was published. Now, get this... from what I could see, he was laughing with them and having a good time. I don't know, I guess what I'm sayin' is that... It's weird that Henry was with them the day before they go missing and not only was he with them but he was engaging in conversation and smiling... It's just got me speculating is all. Fuckin' weird. 

After he graduated high school, Henry and his father REALLY started to click. Gio told me one day that Henry asked him if they could talk one night. Henry said "Alright, let's sit down"and according to Gio, Henry spoke the second he touched the chair. His words were; "Dad, I don't want any bullshit because I know the truth." Gio said that he nodded and asked "What's on your mind?" and Henry's response was, "I know those suitcases that you got when I was a child were kick-ups for a crew and I'm sick of using my talents for school bullshit. I want to be apart of something special. I want you to teach me and bring me in." Now, Giovanni was waiting for this moment for a very long time. He never showed it but I knew he always wanted to bring his son into the life. It wouldn't be my personal choice but it's what Gio wanted. But that's all it took for Henry to start doing work for his dad's crew. Once he started the work though, he got greedy. He got a taste for how much cash he could make and was obsessed. Couldn't get enough... job after job after job. Sure, he was proving himself to his father but the kid wouldn't stop... You see, the thing was he was GOOD at earning... He was making so much money he didn't know what do with it all. I didn't know how much cash he actually had until I showed up at his place and saw it for myself. It was a mess. Cash in the attic, sofa, bed... anything that could store bills was used. Luckily for him, I knew how to launder it so I offered to do it for a price. Quite the little money machine he was. The family was happy that he was earning so much and he was happy that he found people who appreciated and accepted him.

Unfortunately for them, a few years later, the FBI started to crack down and issued an inditement to the entire administration of the family. They started at the very top with the boss, Paul Rossini and went down the line from there. Vincent DeLuca, the underboss got one, a few capos and of course the man himself captain of the D'Amico crew, Giovanni D'Amico. This really fuckin' crippled the family. I mean, they weren't able to get any shit done... their whole system was completely fucked. You had two capos fighting for leadership which caused conflict between the two crews, a few guys tried to walk away from the life and got a plane to Fiji and the Japan. They never made it to the airport... I mean, the whole family was a wreck. It was dysfunctional. With time, the crews eventually split and the administration got life sentences. The remainder of the D'Amico crew panned out and never really took form again. So, I mean, Henry didn't have much of a choice... He couldn't join the other crews due to the bloodshed and his father got a life sentence. I'm pretty sure he did the only thing left to do which was leave New York. I haven't talked to the kid in-- well, shit, he ain't really a kid anymore now is he? But, uh-- yeah, haven't talked to him in fifteen years. And that's it. That's my story of Henry D'Amico.

JcuVGko.png

The D'Amicos, April 9th, 1974.

OOC-- Character's development will be through screenshots.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Upvote 1
  • Björk locked this topic